Friday, November 12, 2010

Tage: Hospital Take TWO...

It has been quite a few days since I have written... For those of you that have not heard, Tage ended up back at the hospital on Wednesday morning. Long story short, he caught some sort of bug (we think viral) and that coupled with the Lasix he has been taking, caused him to vomit, have diarrhea, be irritable.... Sometimes inconsolable, and have a low grade fever. Just not the normal tage we know and love! We went Wednesday morning to the pediatrician to get his RSV shot, and while there he was grey, his hands were purple and he was so unhappy. She called the cardiologist and they had us go to the ER. Thankfully, after an echo, ekg, and chest xray were done, they were able to say that je did not have an infection around his heart, there was no fluid around his heart and more than that, his echo looked phenomenal! That was a was a huge sigh of relief.
However, it was a long two days. Without ranting too much, I will just say that after watching my son be poked over and over while he is screaming, red faced, hardly able to get in a breath is a little much for me. I hate iv's and blood draws!!! Not to mention a catheter... Yikes. I think we counted that Tage was poked 10 times to either draw blood for testing or for an IV. Unfortunately only three times were they successful and once they poke, they go looking, moving the needle around under the skin etc... So glad to not have to hold my little one down for that any more! And then the catheter, ugh, they were not able to place that either.... Poor guy. Routine shots will be a breeze after all he has been through.
We continue to be amazed by the small world we live in, a nursing student came in to our room for routine blood pressure and temperature check, and said, is that Mr Tucci, like from Carmel? She remembered him from 5th grade! Our awesome nurse from down in the PICU, Sam, came to visit Tage which was so sweet. Keith wants to find a way to have her in our family: he continually embarrasses her..... Poor thing! Dr. Gewitz came through on his way to Chicago, and said that Tage's echo was so positive that we could wait 3 weeks for a follow up visit... Good news! Dr. Sett heard we were here and came up this morning to see Tage. We thanked him and he was so sweet, he was like, "Douglas is my little boy!". He asked us to keep him updated with pictures. We are so grateful for him and his miracle hands!
Here are a few pictures from the last few days....
Tage was so wiped out...
I was feeling HORRIBLE for him: waiting in the ER... too much poking!
Tage had to stay in a big ol crib...
Here are a few pictures of inside the Peds floor. We were in the "heros" section. So cool! And a real life fire truck! This is the play area on the floor... so nice!
On another note... I thought I would show some pictures of Tage's scar. The first picture was taken on Monday, the day I was able to take off his steri strips...
A few days later:
Today: I think it already is healing so well!!!

3 comments:

  1. oh em - his scar looks phenomenal!! Good work momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're HOME! And, wow--his incision is looking so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tucci Family, I am blessed to have read about your life experiences over the past few months. Tage is a strong little boy to have endured these challenges. From the pictures, he looks very mild tempered, especially given his circumstances. Em forwarded me the email with the "Fist Pump" photo attached. When I saw TOF, my attention was captured. As Em mentioned in her email, I am interested in this field. Prior to PA school I worked as a Data Entry person for the Cardiothoracic Surgery group at Children's Hospital in Dallas. I was hooked and look forward to the future possibility of being a PA with this group. I graduate in 6 months and will actually do my elective in CTS at Children's. Thanks for telling your story.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete